Saturday, December 19, 2009

Replacing Bad Habits with Better Habits

An important step in the process of lifestyle change for me has been to identify strategies for replacing my former companion and buddy ~ food ~ with alternatives that don't have calories.

Most of us know first hand that food is often a substitute, an inappropriate crutch, we've learned to rely on ~ and even enjoy ~ rather than address the real need that is gnawing away at us. Some of us are lonely, some of us are just bored. Others of us have more serious psychological wounds that we soothe with food.

I think for many of us, such as in my case, it's a combination of these things. Over a period of years beginning way back when we were children, we learned to use a food as the balm that soothes whatever ails us.

I was frightened or sad as a child: Grandma gave me a cookie.
I was disappointed in junior high: Mom took me out for pizza.
I was frazzled as a young mom: I baked for the children and tasted my way into size 24 jeans.
I was distraught when my son was in Iraq: I cooked and cooked and cooked. I ate and I ate and I ate.
I was lonely after my divorce: Somehow the hours of the quiet, lonely evening are easier when you have a big bowl of pasta in your lap.


So there you have it. A lifetime of nurturing a relationship, one of the longest relationships of my life. And it's not like I can banish my old friend from my life forever. I have to eat to stay alive so it's all about reconstructing the relationship into one that is healthy. We all face a similar challenge but we each have to meet it in ways that suit our lives and personalities.

Reframing my relationship with food means getting back to nurturing my creative side. I moved my paints into the living room where I spend most of my time. I created a list of projects I've wanted to tackle for a long time but never found time to start. I've accepted projects from friends and family.

This week my newly-banded, creative self has been dancing around the house with paintbrushes in hand, playing Santa's elf. My niece is a huge Twilight fan and all she wanted for Christmas this year was a pair of hand-painted Chuck Taylor's. I haven't read the books, haven't seen the movies. I checked them out online. Whoaaa!!!! Over $100 bucks!!!! Ahhh-hem!!!!!! So Auntie Nessie tackled the project. They're finished! I painted a hoodie for her too. I can't wait until she sees them on Christmas morning!!!



What a great time I've been having and do you know what????




When I'm painting I don't even think about food.

3 comments:

  1. What a gorgeous picture of you with your cat. You look just lovely. Its nice when you start get certain realisations about what you where doing to get you where you were - I think we are all doing it slowly and recognising certain triggers is half the battle.

    Have a delightful Christmas.
    Cara xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, how creative! Your Niece will love the gifts!

    Happy Holidays Nessa :)

    ReplyDelete