Monday, November 16, 2009

Pre-Ops

From what I read on other blogs there are a variety of pre-op tests required before lapband surgery, depending on your surgeon. There also seem to be a variety of pre-op diet restrictions required by various surgeos. Mine requires 2 weeks of liquid-only pre-op diet. So this morning, after a full week of liquids only and 12 hours of total fasting........I visited the hospital for my pre-op testing.

Blood work, chest x-rays and blood gases........smooth sailing. Until I had to drink the glucose for one of the blood tests. Yowsa!!! Pure, unadulterated thick and gooey sugar stuff after a full week of liquids and 12 hours of an empty stomach?? You could have peeled me off the walls of that hospital for a while there. I've long been a fan of sugar, we've had a lifetime affair...........but that was tooo, too much. Eeeks.

Came home to continue with one more week of liquids, a delightful evening of pre-op "cleansing" similar to the lovely stuff you have to drink prior to a colonoscopy. Ohh joy. (I know, lots of you out there are too young to have experienced your first colonoscopy yet. The procedure itself? No big deal. But the "prep" the night before......despite the fact you enjoy it in the privacy of your own home (more like in the privacy of your own bathroom with ten of your favorite magazines and prepare to read them cover to cover)..... isn't much fun.

Not complaining. I'm thankful my insurance company approved my lapband and can't wait to get to the hospital. Meanwhile, the stories of others who have gone before me..................well..............they simply inspire beyond description.

5 comments:

  1. Hi Nessa!! I love reading your blog! You just tickle me. The Colonoscopy, yes, I have had to endure it 3 times! Once when I was still in my 20's & twice in the last 3 yrs. I agree, so long as you don't mind living in the bathroom all day, it's not too bad. Unfortunately, I can't stand the stuff you have to drink! In fact, I can't drink it anymore. The last time I was only able to gag about 1/2 of it down. I told the Doctor, if I have to go through this again, I have to have pills, I CANNOT DRINK THIS CRAP!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yoiks.. you guys in the US have it so much harder than us here in Australia. All I had to do was have the right BMI and away I went. No blood test, xrays ect. Makes me wonder if all that isn't overkill. Or maybe they are just more thorough.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Whoa, I've never heard of the pre-op cleansing! What is that all about? I mean I wonder what the point is since you've already been doing liquids? Hmmm...Well, good for you surviving a week on liquids already!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations, another hoop jumped through to your goal!! It will be here before you know it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Plenty of hoops for sure. I just decided like so many other things in my life, I'd just keep jumping through them until I get where I want to go. I kinda wonder about the cleansing thing too with all the liquids but my Dr. is a sweet ol' huggy bear and I think if he told me the last hoop was to shimmy on the street corner in my nightie, I'd probably do it with a big grin.
    Shoot, I peed all the way across Nebraska last week......!!!!

    ReplyDelete