Sunday, January 3, 2010

Let the Random Acts Begin.....



With a goal of accomplishing (at least) one random act of kindness each day in 2010, I had to get started right away. Also realized I need to do a little preparation to take advantage of opportunities. I pulled out all my old stationary and cards, gathered up a bunch of fun little trinkets and things that I love and found a bunch of little boxes along with wrapping paper, tape and scissors. We're ready!!!

First a couple of stories that led up to my goal for the year. A decade or so ago I had a bit of a rough year. I'd been a busy wife and mom for over 20 years, living in small town where I was busy and involved in everything ~ knew everyone in town, community volunteer, president of the school board. I was in it clear up to my neck. Great, wonderful years. Then my last child left for college, I divorced my husband, lost my job, had an emergency hysterectomy....seriously, all that in a couple months time. Brutal!!! I was so broke and so lost.

I carried with me one lesson that I learned from my mother very early in life ~ the best way to help yourself is to help someone else. I looked around me. What did I have to give? How could I help anyone else, I could barely take care of me. I called the blood bank. I figured I might not have money in my purse or extra food in my cupboard but I still had veins in my arms and plenty of time on my hands. I made an appointment and donated a pint. Then another. And another. I can remember walking out of the blood bank each time, thinking to myself.....I might not have much but I've still got great blood!! By the end of the year I'd donated a gallon and they gave me a special "donor's" t-shirt. I've gotta tell ya, it felt so great!!!

Fast forward to just a few months ago. I pulled into my favorite Starbucks and didn't see a car coming from a side street with the same intent. I pulled into the driveup and quickly realized when I looked in my rear-view mirror that I'd cut off the other driver, essentially I'd cut in front of her. That's not like me at all and I felt bad. So when I got up to the window, I paid for my coffee and paid for hers too. I asked the barista at the window to tell her, "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to cut in front of you! Have a great day!!!" I pulled away from the window and as I melted back into traffic I saw the barista leaning out the window explaining to the other driver that her coffee was paid for. Man, I felt like a million bucks.

Just before Christmas I did the same thing for a kid in an old car who was behind me at the McDonalds drive up. I could tell he was just about my kids age ~ late 20's ~ and the car he was driving was older. Every 20-something I know is pretty much broke. The mom in me just wanted to run back and hug him. So I bought his lunch, paying for his order at the window as I paid for my own. As I pulled away from the window I said a little prayer that perhaps this little random act would inspire him in his life to do things for others. I'll never know....but it doesn't matter. That's what random acts are like most of the time ~ we never know just exactly how much they meant to the recipients but we hope they are like little sparks that light fires in others that start glowing all over the place.

I should interject here ~ I don't have lots of money. I have a good job but I also have a mortgage, a mountain of student loans to pay and I'm driving a 6-year old car that I'm still paying for. It took me forever to pay off my hospital bills from way back when. My employer is hanging on by a thread and I am pretty sure we're going to make it, but in the meantime we've all taken a 15% pay cut and will be working several weeks this year without pay. When I buy someones coffee or their lunch, it's not because I have wads of money to give away. Quite the opposite. For me it's really more of an act of gratitude to God for what I DO have. I have learned, the less I have the more I try and give away and God just continues to meet all my needs so I can keep on doing it. But random acts of kindness don't have to cost a thing. It's the act that counts.

Here's how I chose to begin this years series of random acts:

January 1      Gave my waitress a $10 tip on a $9.00 restaurant tab. I was a waitress decades ago. Hard work.
January 2      Sent a card and note to people whose house I pass on my way home from work every evening to let them know how much I loved their Christmas lights.
January 3      I wrapped up a bar of delicious smelling handmade soap that I bought at a farmers market this summer and left it in a mailbox with a "Happy New Year" note this morning. I have no idea who lives there but I've seen the lady walking down her driveway to get the mail many times. I think she'll enjoy it.

I'm off to a fun start!!!

6 comments:

  1. Nessa, I just found your blog and I must say I am so moved by what you are doing. You are so right, we can always do something to help others. I have been inspired by you so there is one spark lighting a fire. Happy New Year to you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great ideas! Such nice gestures. I'm sure you are making a lot of people happy, and they are telling a lot of people about it...You don't know how far cheer will spread! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is so wonderful Nessa! What a kind soul you are. If only we had more people like you in the world....

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think what you are doing is truly fantastic, & I am sure that those that you are doing for really appreciated it too!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So, so, soooo much fun! If anyone is looking for ideas there are a bunch of websites that list all kinds of suggestions ~ just simple stuff I'd never even thought of. Just Google "Random Acts of Kindness" and have fun!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my!! My eyes welled up a bit reading about this: I remember you posted that you were going to do random acts of kindness but you are following through and this makes me think what an amazing lady you are. We need more people like you in the world. LOVE THIS!!!! I hope the people at least are a little surprised and grateful for what you are doing. I know I would be :)

    ReplyDelete